Main Image
DFD History

History By Decade

1887-1900 1900-1909 1910-1919 1920-1929 1930-1939 1940-1949 1950-1959 1960-1969 1970-1979 1980-1987


Chief - P. F. Fitzpatrick

March 15, 1920-Annual Meeting - a bill for $8.00 to Dr. R. B. Quinn for medical services for two men that were injured in the Woodward fire, was voted paid.

June 7, 1920-The Southern Wisconsin and Northern Illinois Tournament was to be held in Darlington. It was to be held on Wednesday, July 28.

On a motion it was decided that no firemen's uniform should be put on anyone outside of the Department.

July 6, 1920-Committees reported on the coming tournament. There would be a reception by the Darlington Department and that a charge of $.35 for adults and $.15 for children at the gate, grandstand would be free. Motion was made that all bands be given their meals. Carried. Motion that ticket sellers and takers be paid. Carried.

A dance would be held after the tournament.

Aug. 1, 1920-A report was read on the tournament. It showed that the Department made $312.12.

Chief Fitzpatrick then made a short speech in which he stated that he had been Chief for eleven years and that he enjoyed his work with the boys and had always found them faithful, but now he would like to step down. He then rendered his resignation to the Department.

Five ballots were cast and two candidates were picked. It was then suggested that it be left to the Commission to decide between the two candidates.

A vote of thanks came from the Department for Chief Fitzpatrick for his years of hard work for the Department.

Also discussed at this meeting was a conversation between some of the band members about the financial matters of the Firemen's Band. It was voted to give the Firemen's Band $150.00 - carried. A suggestion was made to ask the City to match the Fire Deparfnent donation.

Oct. 1, 1920-This meeting was called at the request of the Fire and Police Commission who desired an expression of the firemen as to who they would have for Chief to succeed P . F. Fitzpatrick. The Chief appointed Geo. Howery and Chas. Weigel to act as tellers. J. F. Haskin moved the informal ballot be declared formal and T. H. Murphy declared unanimously elected. seconded anil carried. The Secretary was instructed to notify the Fire and Police Commission of the action of the Fire Departrnent.

Nov. 1, 1920-It was voted to rent Rodham's Hali for $35.00 for the Annual Firemen's Dance. Voted to charge $1.10 for tickets. Committees: Music - Chas. Weigel, Geo. Howery and John Conley; Printing - Perry Nelson, Clyde Metcalf and J. F. Hoskin. On motion, it was decided that Willard Howard be given the checking privilege on a 50 percent basis. (In those days most of the work of the dance was paid for.) Two members were appointed to canvas the town on ticket sales.

Dec. 6, 1920-The Secretary read the statement of the Annual Dance:

27 Firemen's Tickets. ......$14.85

123 Adult Tickets.. . .. $135.30

Donation ......$1.00

Checking Coats ...$2.20


1904 Darlington Fireman

Also discussed at this meeting was a conversation between some of the band members about the financial matters of the Firemen's Band. It was voted to give the Firemen's Band $150.00 - carried. A suggestion was made to ask the City to match the Fire Departnent donation.

Oct. 11, 1920-This meeting was called at the request of the Fire and Police Commission who desired an expression of the firemen as to who they would have for Chief to succeed P . F. Fitzpatrick. The Chief appointed Geo. Howery and Chas. Weigel to act as tellers. J. F. Haskin moved the informal ballot be declared formal and T. H. Murphy declared unanimously elected. seconded anil carried. The Secretaw *as instructed to notifv the Fire and Police Commission of the action o"f the Fire Departrnent.

Nov. 1, 1920-It was voted to rent Rodham's Hali for $35.00 for the Annual Firemen'sD ance. Voted to charge $1.10 for tickets. Committees: Music - Chas. Weigel, Geo. Howery and John Conley; Printing - Perry Nelson, Clyde Metcalf and J. F. Hoskin. On motion, it was decided that Willard Howard be given the checking privilege on a 507o basis. (In those days most of the work of the dance was paid for.) Two members were appointed to canvas the town on ticket sales.

Dec. 6, 1920-The Secretary read the statement of the Annual Dance:

27 Firemen's Tickets. ......$14.85

123 Adult Tickets.. . .. $135.30

Donation ......$1.00

Checking Coats ...$2.20


Paid Allington Music. .......$75.00

Paid War Tax......... ..........$4.25

Paid E. H. Rodham Ha11.......... $35.00

Paid M. P. Reavy Printing .. $10.00

Paid ChasW. eigel Telephone. ........ $.55

Paid J. F. Hoskin Postage.................... $.52

Net receipts of Dance $28.03

1917 Darlington Firemen


Chief - T. H. Murphy

Jan 3,1921-An informal discussion was held on the proposition of buying a truck for carrying exra hose, hooks, ladders, and etc. It was moved that the Fire Department buy and equip a truck (with starter and the best tires) for the purpose of carrying ladders and exffa hose, etc. Motion carried. A committee of three members was appointed to look into the matter and report back to the Department.

Feb. 7, 1921-Truck committee reported back that a Ford truck would be their pick. It was voted that the Department buy the truck. (No price was given. It would be interesting to know the price.)

Mayor Orton being present addressed the Department on efficiency in the Department and informed the members that a reduction in insurance rates could be had if the Department had the right equipment and that the members had the ability to use such equipment. The Mayor said that the Insurance Commissioners would be here next week. He also spoke on the advisability of each member of the Department to ask for better streets.

Darlington Fireman's Band 1910-1920f

March 7,I921-It was voted on at this meeting to turn the new Ford truck over to the City as a donation from the Fire Department. Ownership would then be the City's.

The Chief made it verv clear that the only ones to drive the big truck would be the six drivers. The first driver there would be in charge and the second would be his assistant. He also stated that the truck was not to leave for fires until there was a good crew on the truck, so that not too many would have to walk. No one that was not a member of the Department would be allowed on the truck.

The Chief then asked the members to pick a night to practice. It was voted to have practice every Tuesday night.

March 21, 1921-Annual Meeting - the Secretary's letter to the City rendering the Hook and Ladder truck to the City was read, together with the City's acceptance of same.

George Howery then presented a map of the City of Darlington upon which was located all the new fire hydrants.

Motion made and carried that the Department extend thanks to Stuart and Chapman for their efforts in making the Hook and Ladder truck a success. (Stuart and Chapman were a car dealership.) Motion was made to have Monty Clary letter the new truck.

April 4, 1921-A bill from O'Neill Bros. for $2.00 for baskets for the Hook and Ladder truck, moved and carried.

1917 Darlington Fire

It was nearing the "Close of a Perfect Day." The Big White Fair was drawing to an end. Already the exodus of visitors from the grounds had begun. There yet remained a trotting heat and the balloon ascension, and then "Finis" for the big show for 1917. The great clock on the court house had just boomed the hour of four o'clock and all was well.

Suddenly a voice was heard, crying Fire! Fire! Fire! And instantly thousands of eyes focused upon a huge column of black smoke, that in a northeasterly direction was sweeping over the city. A moment later word was phoned to the grounds that Rodham's opera house was on fire, and the crowd poured out of the grounds and into the city. The fire company had already begun to throw water, but the fire had obtained such headway that it refused to be stopped or controlled by the puny efforts of man. It was instantly seen that Rodham's opra house was doomed. At this point, Mayor Peck telephoned to Shullsburg, Mineral Point, Gratiot, Belmont and Argyle for help, and quickly the fire departments from these towns responded; Mineral Point came by special train, making the run of sixteen miles in eighteen minutes. Shullsburg came by auto and reached here in twenty minutes after they left home. Argyle, Gratiot and Belmont arrived soon after. But in the meantime the conflagration had swept on. From the Rodham building, with the opera house above and Mr. George Mitchell's billiard hall and moving picture theatre below, the fire assaulted the building occupied by Roselip & DeMuth as a saloon on the ground floor and Roselip's cigar factory on the second floor. Next in order came Mrs. August Mueller's building occupied by Mr. W. B. Roach, agent for Delco Light and dealer in electrical fixtures. Adjoining this was the building owned by Mrs. Lou Oates, who with her son Roscoe lived in the second story, the ground floor being occupied by Mr. George Jenks as a barber shop.

1917 Darlington Fire

1917 Darlington Fire

1917 Darlington Fire

Next in the pathway of the flames came the Schreiter block in which was P. J. Wiegel's music store and R. E. Schreiter's harnesss shop. The adjoining building belonged to Mrs. Nick Steffen and was occupied by Mr. Sam Smith as a saloon; and immediatly north of this stood the building bclonging to Mrs. T. T. Hugillz and occupied by Mr. M. Zurfluh a saloon below and family residence above. In less than thirty minutes from the time the fire was discovered all these buildings had been or were being destroyed. The local fire department had performed prodigies of valor and had made a game but losing fight. They could hold the fire on Main Street, but back of nearly all the buildings stood a lot of fire traps - barns, sheds, store houses, etc.; these began to burn, and from them the buildings on the street caught fire; each taking firing from the rear. And now came the great crisis. Could the Gordon Hotel, a solid stones tructure three stories high built of solid stone walls, be saved? If so, the fire might be held; if not Darlington appeared to be doomed. Our wearied, baffled, but undaunted fire boys, prepared to make their last stand. In the rear of the Gordon hotel stood an ice house, a sample room, a two story store house and a barn fully one hundred feet long - all wooden structures. The wind now had risen to almost the proportions of a gale, and it seemed that almost all these buildings took fire at the same time, and an instant later the hotel was a roaring conflagration. From here the flames jumped across the railroad track and burned the office of the Lanc Lumber Company. Then sprang across Wells street and wrapped their red tongues around the old cooper shop owned by R. H. Driver, and then the dwelling house of William Gundry began to burn fiercely, and not more than ten feet away stood the immense wooden sheds of the Lane Lumber Co. And to add to the horror of the situation the flames jumped across Ann street and set fire to the Quinn livery barn and dwelling. Nearly every building on Main street between Ann and Harriet was a fire, but brave men and women standing on the rooves, put on the incipient blazes. In the vicinity of the Baptist church seven houses were on fire at one time; and the bravest heart quailed as it began to realize that Darlington was doomed.

1917 Darlington Fire

1917 Darlington Fire

1917 Darlington Fire

At this juncture an auto dashed across the bridge followed by another and still another. It was the advance guard of the Shullsburg fire department, who had covered the distance in less than twenty minutes. And then an engine screaming like a monster pained, dashed into the city bringing the Mineral Point fire fighters, and these boys followed Shullsburg into the fight, and now there were six streams of water instead of two fighting the fire fiend. A few minutes later the fire ladders from Gratiot and Belmont anived, and after a fierce struggle, the battle was won and the city saved. Conservative estimates place the damage at about one hundred thousand dollars. It was the most terrible and destructive fire in the history of Darlington. The heat was so intense that all window lights on the west side of the street in the block were broken. Burning brands fell on rooves more than a quarter mile from the fire. Miss Emma Weber informed us that her farm four miles north of the city is covered with charred cinders. The origin of the fire is not definitely known. One report is that it was caused by defective wiring in the opera house. Another is that it started in the rear of Mitchell's movie stage, and the third is that it was accidentally started on the stage of Rodham's playhouse by some members of the troupe that was to play there that night. Mr. Rodham announces that he will rebuild as soon as possible. Roselip & DeMuth and R. E. Schreiter have not as yet decided, and the others we have been unable to interview. R. E. Schreiter has moved his workshop into the R. H. Driver building, and will keep his stock in Rodham's garage. W. B. Roach has erected a big tent on the lot where his place of business was, and is doing business at the old stand. Sam Smith has moved into the J. W. Crow building on the west side of main street and M. Zurfluh has moved into one of R. H. Driver's buildings on West Ann Street.

Early Tournament Bills

July 11, 192I-A bill from Monty Clary for $4.00 for lettering the truck was presented and on motion ordered paid.

The Chief said that only two to seven men a practice night were showing up and ordered the men to get to the Tuesday night practice.

Motion made that the City be asked for 500 feet of new hose to replace the 200 feet that was now in use by the paving contractors and to have 300 feet on hand.

Aug. 1, 1921-Roll call of last fire was called for by the Chief. He stated that any member who could drive to take the new Hook and Ladder to fires and not leave it in the Hose House.

Sept. 6, 1921-It was announced that a book will be left at the Hose House to record the names of members Jan. 9, reporting at fires and roll will be called at the Hose House after each fire.

Oct. 3, 1921-A letter to Chief Murphy was read in regard to an electric siren for the City. No action was taken.

Nov. 7, 1921-Plans were made for Annual Dance. Music Committee: Stanley Lewis, Earl Hughes and Delbert Dunn. Canvass for tickets: J. F. Hoskins and D. K. Schreiter. The Chief volunteered to collect them at the door.

The question of the electric siren was brought up and aiter much discussion a motion was made and seconded that the Fire Department would pay 50 percent of the cost if the City would pay the rest.

Dec. 5, 1921-The Secretary read the report from the Annual Dance. Net proceeds were $97.14.

The following letter from the City Council was read and ordered Placed on file.


Nov.22. 1921

Darlington Fire Department Darlington, Wisconsin

Gentlemen: the following are extracts from the proceedings of the Common Council at meeting of Nov.22, 1921:

Resolved: That no fire apparatus owned by the City shall respond to any fire alarms outside of the City limits except by permission of the Mayor; and in no event shall such apparatus respond to any alarm further than four miles from the City limits.


In all cases where fire apparatus is sent to alarms outside of the City a charge of $25.00 shall be made for the apparatus, plus regular wages of the firemen: Such charges to be paid by the person whose premises the fire is located. J. G. Swift, City Clerk Motion was made by Earl Hughes and seconded by Harry Moore that the Fire Department loan the City the $500.00 with no interest for a new siren. (City did not have the funds.) After a much heated discussion, the motion was withdrawn.

Motion made that the Fire Department make no further concession to the Citv Council on the New siren. Carried.


Jan 9, 1922-Chief: T. H. Murphy

A motion was made by George Howery and duly seconded, that the Chief wait upon the Mayor and inform him that the Fire Departrnent is opposed to taking out the fire engine and hose for pumping out cellars, mud holes, ditches and etc. Motionc carried.

The matter of looking up uniforms was then gone into and it was suggested we call upon ex-members who may have suits to return same to the Department.

Feb 6, 1922-A motion was made and carried that the Secretary place a notice in both papers, asking all cars and vehicles to give the fire trucks the right of way to all fires. Notice to run for three weeks.

Frank McDermott was present and thanked the boys for their efficient services at his fire and passed around apples and cigars, which were enjoyed by all. (Apples and cigars??)

Mar 20, 1922-Annual Meeting: The annual report of the Treasurer was read and referred to the Finance Committee, composed of Stanley Lewis, John Conley, Percy Nelson, who audited same, found it correct and recommended the stubs be cancelled and vouchers destroyed.

It was voted to increase the Secretary's wages from $10.00 to $20.00 per year.

Darlington Fireman's Band and Department on the steps of uncompleted Lafayette County Courthouse, approximatley 1905. In Back row, appears to be the Police Chief, Mayor, and Fire Chief.

May L5, L922-The resignation of T. H. Murphy as Chief was presented, to take effect at once, and on motion, action was deferred until the next meeting. (The problem was between the Chief and the Mayor and City Council, because at the next meeting, read on)

June 5, 1922-The Chief stated that his resignation had been handed to the Fire and Police Commission to take effect tonight, June 5, and he would also like the Fire Department to accept his resignation.

On a vote, the members of the Department did not accept his resignation.

Motion that a committee be appointed to go before the City Council and demand that they leave the fire fighting apparatus alone. That no hose, nozzles, ladders or any other fire fighting equipment be removed from the carts for any purpose, if they expect the Firemen to be responsible for their condition at a fre. That the committee also ask the City Council to appropriate $100.00 per year for the man taking care of the carts, oiling same, keeping batteries up, etc.

The Chief appointed Stanley Lewis, Frank Ulluis, and John O'Neill as a committee.

It was decided by vote to send the running team to Portage for the State Tournament. The team was ordered into training.

July 17, 1922-7. H. MurphY, Present Chief, having rendered his resignation, moved that an informal ballot be taken to bring out candidates for the position. The result was as follows: M. Clary - 10; S. Lewis - 2; A. Brunkow - 11; McDonald - 1; Murphy - 1. It was then moved that Brunkow's name be submitted to the Fire and Police Commission for approval.

It was voted that the Department go in a body to the tournament of the Southern Wisconsin Northern Illinois meeting to be held in Benton. That each member to go in uniform be given $3.00 for expenses and that the band members in uniform be given $5.00 for expenses.

Motion that Benton be allowed to use the hose cart and the Hook and Ladder wagon on that day, and return in good order. Carried.

Oct.2, 1922-Chief Brunkow reported that he had not as yet been able to have the bell installed on the big motor truck. He also reported that he had purchased five whistles for use in the Department, at a cost of $1.75.

The matter of additional lanterns was brought up and after discussing the matter, it was decided to buy four lanterns, three for the foremen and one for the Chief. The Chiefs lantern to have a red globe so it will be easier to distinguish at fires.

The Chief reported he is working out a signal system to be used at fires.

Monty Clary was authorized to paint the ladders because they were in bad shape. It was decided to paint them blue.

First Darlington Gas Engine Firetruck, went into service in 1922. Standing in front of the truck is thought to be Jack Reichling

Nov. 6, 1922-Visitors present at this meeting, Councilmen Boyle, Parson and McPhillips. Fire Commissioner F. Parson and City Electrician F. Schumacher. Also two salesmen, Mr. Clark of the Federal Electric Co. and Mr. DeCot of the DeCot Red Arrow Siren Co. A committee was appointed to work out the details with the City Council and that the Fire Department would pay 50 percent and the City would pay 50 percent. Also if the City was financially embarrassed at the present time the Department would loan them the money.

Dec. 4, 1922-Report on the Annual Dance for this year had net receipts of $112.60 to the good.

It was stated that used both new sirens were ready to be used.


Chief: A. Brunkow

Jan. 8, 1923-Grover Stahlnecker's name was presented for membership and was voted in.

Motion was made that the big truck must not leave the Fire House when going to fires with less than six men on it, not counting the officer in charge and the driver. Carried.

Feb. 5, 1923-Bills were read on the new siren. Total of all bills were $719.99.

Chief Brunkow then asked the Secretary to send thank you letters from the Department to Hower & Sheldon, Paul E. Wrighf and the Farmers Telephone Co. for their help in installing the siren.

D. K. Schreiter and J. F. Hoskins were elected to represent the Department at the Southern Wisconsin Northern Illinois Convention.

Firetrucks parade down Main Street Darlington, approximatley 1935

March 19, 1923-Annual Meeting: The first order of business was the bills from the Farmers Telephone Co. and the Darlington Electric Co. The members voted to pay the Telephone Co. but that the Electric Co.'s rate was too high for just the fire siren. The Siren Committee reported that the City would need a loan on the siren. It was voted to give them $360.00 at 6 percent interest.

New members voted in: Paul Wright, Homer Curry and Herman Ostendorf.

On motion, the Secretary was instructed to write a letter to Mr. Cash of the Wis. Telephone Co. condemming his action in refusing to allow a fire alarm button to be installed in the local telephone office. That the Secretary be further instructed to have this letter published in the local papers.

April 2, 1923-Chief Brunkow appointed a committee to look into the matter of rubber coats and hats, including a white one for the Chief and report at the next meeting.D.K. Schreiter and H. Pilling were the committee.

May 7, L923-A letter from John J. Boyle was read, thanking the Deparrnent for the quick response and able manner in handling his fire.

The Chief was elected to go the National Firemen's Association of the United States Meeting to be held in Milwaukee.

Chief Brunkow then read a letter from the Darlington Electric Co. where in they would agree to furnish current for the fire siren for $.50 per annum.

The committee on coats and hats reported: Chiefs White Coat....... $9.50

Black Rubbers:

U.S. Coat Co. .. Dubuque $6.75 Hats... $.65

Dubuque $7.75 Hats... $.69

Motion made and seconded to buy 12 coats and12 hats and one white coat and hat for Chief. The Deparunent to pay for them if the City will not.

It was voted to go to the State Tournament in Jefferson, and take the running team and the band. The Chief ordered the running team into training.

July 2, 1923-Chief reported on the meeting at Jefferson and presented bills for same: Railroad fare - $20.40, Meals - $10.80, Lodging - $4.50. (This was for the three delegates total expenses.)

It was voted to buy shields or badges for all the members of the Deparunent.

Motion made and carried that the Department buy 20 track suits and supporters for the running team.

The Chief then thanked Fireman Cyril Blatho for the pair of rubber boots donated by him. (Cyril Blatho was a short man, who smoked a pipe with a cigar in it. He was a shoemaker.)

Aug. 6, 1923-It was reported that the City had paid their half of the price of the siren.

The Chief reported that he had received $25.00 for the Deery fire and on motion it was decided to divide it among those attending the fire.

Dec. 6, 1923-Chief Brunkow announced he had received a donation of $25.00 from Father Garritv of Gratiot in appreciation of the efforts of the firemen at the recent fire. On motion, it was decided to divide it among the members who had fought said fire.

The Chief spoke about more interest and better attendance at the meetings and thought it would be a good idea to have some social time, such as an occasional lunch and a school of instruction with the apparatus. It was then moved to have a supper sometime this month.

It was voted to buy rings for the new rubber hats so they could be snapped onto the coats.


Chief: A. Brunkow

Jan.7, 1924 -Motion made and carried that the Department pay the Chief $3.00 for the mittens he bought for all the firemen in the Department.

Voted that a committee go before the City Council and ask permission to pump water for Glen Martin's skating pond.

Feb. 4, I924-Owing to the fact there being no electric current in the City, all lights were out and no meeting.

March 3, 1924-The matter of insurance for the firemen was brought up. After discussion, a motion was made that the Department take out insurance on its members and that the bill be presented to the City for payment and if the City does not accept it, that the Departrnent pay for it themselves.

A motion was made that notice be put in both papers regarding the violation of the fire law in parking cars at the last fire. Also that tags be printed for tagging violators from now on.

April 17,1924-Annual Meeting: The Secretary read his annual report which was as follows:


Number of meetings in the year................14

Total attendance of meetings . .. . ... .. . 174

Average attendance ...... 12+

Total number of fires in year ..... 11

Total attendance at fires . . ...... 295

Average attendancaet fires ..... ..27

The Chief then gave his report:

practices with trucks ... . ..25

Reports to the State Fire Marshall ......12

Business Inspections ..... 138

Residence Inspections...........................40

Hazards ......14

Eliminated ....11

Average loss of all fires in City limits............... $144.25


The Chief reported that he thought that the By- Laws were outdated and be brought up to the current times. A committee was appointed: Monty Clary, J. F. Hoskins, Ed Micka and George Howery.

There was a demonsffation of a new hole ladder, which was ordered on approval, and it was voted to purchase one, if the City would buy it.

May 5, 1924-It was decided not to go to the State Tournament because of the unsportsman like manner in which it was conducted and use that money and what more it would take to buy new uniforms.

Fireman Chester Martin thanked the Department for their able service in saving his warehouse at the recent fire and opened a box of cigars for all to enjoy.

June 2, 1924-D. K. Schreiter reported that an inventory had been taken of all the trucks and had been filed with the Property Committee.

Bills voted paid: Balch Bros & West for markers = $82.50 and Waterous Engine Company for work on pump - $6.00.

July 7, 1924-A bill from Roy Howe for $4.50 for cleaning and pressing and a bill from the Darlington Democrat for printing of $38.25 was voted paid.

It was voted to go to East Dubuque, Illinois for the Southern Wisconsin Northern Illinois Association Convention and that each member going would be paid $4.00. It was decided to take their own equipment. A motion was made that anyone who stayed home be paid $2.00. Voted down.

The Chief appointed Norbert DeMuth and Frank Ullius to look after equipment.

One of the firemen was a pastor, a Jas. A . Vincent, who invited the Department to come to Sunday worship services and he would give a special sermon. It was decided that all members would attend. (Now we have a sermon every Monday night.)

Dec. 2, 1924-Annual Thanksgiving Eve Dance made $92.60.


Feb. 2, 1925-Chief A. Brunkow: An informal talk was held on the matter of taking the trucks outside the City.

Motion made and carried that a committee be appointed to look into the matter and to ask the City to purchase a new truck apparatus to replace the small truck.

April 6, 1925-There was to be a tournament at Watertown to be held in June and on vote it was decided that as many members as possible should try and go. The Secretary was ordered to purchase 50 tickets for same.

The applications of Irvin Howard, George Sullivan, Joe McCarten and Herbert Micka to become members of the Hook and Ladder Co. were read and they were duly elected.

The Chief reported that the Southern Wisconsin Northern Illinois Convention was to be held in Darlington and at this time he appointed committees to work on it.

A motion was made and carried to give each delegate a free meal.

July 21, 1925-There was to be a tournament in Cuba City and it was voted to take all members who wanted to go, along with the band and the running team. Each member would receive $4.00 and anyone not going $2.00.

The running team was ordered into training.

Sept. 7, 1925-After getting J. O'Neill out of the building on a fake telephone call, a motion was made and carried that as J. O'Neill was leaving our City, that the Department buy him a nice gift and give him a surprise party. It was decided to make their own refreshment and they set the date for Friday, Sept. 11.

The Chief called attention to the fact that the week of Oct. 5 was Fire Prevention Week and call people's attention to the fact.

Nov. 2, 1925- The application of Francis Poppa to become a member of #2 Company was presented and he was duly elected.

The matter of new rubber goggles was brought up and it was thought that they would be good for protecting a fireman in a burning house. Voted to buy a dozen.

Dec. 7, 1925-Reported that Annual Dance was $113.40 to the good.

Motion made and carried that the Chief appoint a committee to look into the cost of new suits for the Deparrnent.


Jan. 4, 1926-A bill of Hoskins and Wilson for $4.50 for gifts to the telephone operator was presented and on motion ordered paid. (It must have been shortly before this that the Telephone Company started to take fire calls.)

The Chief brought up the idea of having a visiting or sick committee and it was voted to have a Sick Committee.

March l, 1926-Annual Meeting: The report showed that the Deparrnent had 60 members.

Number of meetings in year. ..... 13

Average attendance ........ 15

Number of fires. ....16

Average attendance ........26

The Uniform Committee reported that so far only one merchant had submitted a price.

The Chief reported that he had received a check for $35.00 from C. J. Franz for efficient service and help at the fire at his residence and thanked the Department for their help. The money was voted into the general fund.

The Chief appointed Anton Wagner a committee of one to ask the City Council for some folding chairs for the Fire House.

March 16, 1926-This meeting was a special meeting in regard to the purchasing of uniforms. It was voted to purchase blue coats and caps, the caps having a white top. The committee was to report on price at next meeting.

April 5,1926-The Uniform Committee reported they had decided to purchase uniforms from the Henderson Ames Co. consisting of blue coats, white trousers and blue caps with white tops. There would be a D.F.D. label on the coat and insignia on the cap. Officers to have rank insignia.

The price of the uniforms would be $21.30 for the complete uniform and goods guaranteed.

Motion made and carried that a vote by ballot be taken to purchase uniforms or not.

The vote was taken and it was found there were 10 for and 6 against puchase.

A motion was made to have a committee appear before the City Council to ask for help in the purchase of uniforms. The committee appointed was: L. 0. Smith, F. Ullius and A. Kumsner.

There would be a $5.00 deposit at time of measurement and $5.00 on arrival of uniforms.

May 5, 1926-Jeff Procter and D. K. Schreiter were appointed as delegates for the convention in Platteville.

A bill of $2.50 for a cap lost at Firemen's Dance was ordered paid to Osee Morgan's Store. It was decided to purchase a new flag and banner for the Fire House.

June 7, 1926-The question of disposition of the old uniforms was brought up and on motion it was decided to let each member keep them but if worn, the Deparfnent buttons must first be removed.

There were two donations of $5.00 each for services rendered at fires and voted to put the money in the general fund.

Nov. 1, 1926-The Chief made a suggestion that the City be divided into districts and the whole City be canvassed in selling dance tickets for the Nov. 24 Annual Dance.

Dec. 6, 1926-The Chief stated that the Annual Dance had been very successful financially and he thought perhaps it would be a good idea to reward the members who had done the work of selling tickets and helping at dance.

A motion was then made and duly carried that the Chief be authorized to compensate those who had done the work on the dance in proportion to the work they had done. (The records show that the Chief made $7.00 the AssistantC hief made $3.50, the Foremen made $2.50 and the rest of the members made $1.00.)

After all the bills were paid:


Paid wartax... ... 15.10

Net to the good............. $226.80


Chief: A. Brunkow

Jan. 3, 1927-A bill of $4.50 from Hoskins & Wilson for Christmas presents for the telephone operators was presented and on motion ordered paid.

A motion was made to have a Firemen's Supper and that the City Council, Fire and Police Commission and a delegation from Mineral Point Fire Department be invited to come. Carried.

March 7,1927-Annual Meeting: An application of Jos. Procter (Joe is still in the Dept.) become a member of the Hook and Ladder Company was read and he was duly elected. The Chief reported the average fire loss for the last year to be $79.00. He also informed the Depart- ment that he was working on an ordinance to make fireproof shingles compulsory.

A discussion of equipment was brought up. Mainly a larger truck to replace the small Ford truck and the Property Committee was instructed to go before the City Council to urge the replacement of the smaller truck. (The Chief would not take part in the discussion because he was now on the City Council, so the Secretary took over this part of the meeting.)

March 21,1927-The Property Committee had a meeting with the City Council and this special meeting was called to work out what the Department would like in a bigger truck.

It was asked from the floor what weight the small Ford was carrying and it was estimated at about 2,130lbs. of dead load.

The discussion then was about what size truck would be needed and it was decided that it should be at least a 1-1/2 ton or 2 ton truck.

D. K. Schreiter reported the Property Committee had prices on truck chassis and they were:

1- 1/2 ton Reo......... ....$1,310.00

1-1/2 ton Dodge.............. $1,310.00

1- 1/2 ton International................... $ 1,500.00

1 ton GMC (132 inch) "... $1,165.00

2 ton GMC (150 inch) ... $1,900.00

2 ton FederalKnight ......$1,600.00

There was a lot of discussion on the speed of a bigger truck over a small truck. Also on the fact that the Department might later want to use a pump for water and a chemical tank on it.

It was decided to leave it to the Property Committee to work out the problem and that they take their time on it, because it would have to last for a number of years.

It was asked from the floor if the Fire Department would have to help pay for this new truck. A motion was made and carried, after much discussion, that the Department would pay 1/3 of the price of new ffuck. The Chief spoke about having an inspection by the Fire and Police Commission on all the equipment in the Department. This would also give the Commission a better idea of what the Department has in trucks and equipment. It was voted to have an annual inspection.

The insurance of the members had expired and to renew would cost $75.00 per year. It was an increase from the $40.00 they had been paying. It was voted to pay the $75.00 under protest and to the agent take the matter up with the Insurance Company.

June 6, 1927 -The Chief reported that the second Tuesday in June had been set as the night for the annual inspection of the Department by the City Council and the Fire and Police Commission and that the parade would be promptly at 7:00 P.M., June 14, and the Secretary was instructed to send notices to all members.

Aug. 1, 1927-The Secretary was instructed to send a thank you letter to the Hogan Sisters for the box of clgars.

A Jack Tracy from Platteville spoke to the Department about having two field and derby days. The expenses to be on a 50 - 50 basis and also all profits. It was voted to do so and committees were appointed.

Sept. 4, 1927-A bill of Hoskin and Wilson for $7.30 for first aid supplies was presented and ordered paid. It was decided to place the first aid supplies on #2 truck as that truck made all the fires.

Dec. 5, 1927- The Annual Dance had a local orchestra by the name of the Paramount Players and the records show that they made $167.33.

The Chief suggested that those who gave their time to make the dance a success be paid.


Chief: A. Brunkow

Jan. 9, 1928-The applications of Ernest Ruf and Cyril Teasdalef or membershipw ere voted on and accepted.

A bill from H. D. Schreiter & Son for $1.50 for lunch after fire was voted paid.

March 5, 1928-Annual Meeting: Report for the last year:

Number of meetings.......................... 13

Average Attendance ..... 17

Number of fires. ........20

Average attendance at fires ... 27

The Chief spoke on the need for more hose and that the culvert in front of the Fire Station should be extended 6 feet further to the south. This would make it safer for the trucks to get out in a hurry. A committee to go in front of the Council was appointed. It was Hans Oeschlin,E d Micka, Grover Stahlnecker and the Property Committee.

April 2, 1928-The Department was having trouble with one of the trucks and it was decided to sendit to Rockford for repair. Anton Kumsner took the truck to Rockford and his expenses for the trip were $8.64.

Oct. 1, 1928-A bill from McWiliiams and Ryan for $1.60 for ice cream was read and voted paid.

Application of Walker Murray for membership was read and he was voted into the Department.

The Chief appointed a committee on a resolution in the death of their honored Treasurer John O'Brien.

A successor for the Treasurer was voted on and L. H. Wilson got the job.

Dec. 3, 1928-The records show that the Annual Dance had a net gain of $252.30 and that on motion all firemen who worked selling tickets and working at the Dance be paid. Carried.


Chief: A. Brunkow Jan. 7, 1929-Motion was made and carried that the Department have a supper on Jan. 24 and that all exmembers, City Council and the Fire and Police Commission be extended an invitation.

Feb. 4, 1929-Application of a Stanley Joslin was presented, on vote, became a member of the De- partment.

 Waterous Fire Company Respirator

March 4, 1929-Annual Meeting: A bill from U. Ruef Store for fruit gotten by the Sick Commirtee and to Hoskins and Wilson for gifts for the telephone girls were voted paid.

D. K. Schreiter of the Property Committee reported that the Department now had 500 feet of new hose and that all equipment seemed to be in good shape.

Due to the death of Thomas O'Neill, a resolution was to be made up and presented to the family and a copy be spread on the records of the Department.

April 1, 1929-At this meeting, Monty Clary resigned as Assistant Chief. M. Clary had been Assistant Chief for just about as long as A. Brunkow had been Chief. Stanley Lewis was appointed as Assistant Chief.

There was a discussion about Article 4. Section 2 of the By-Laws with regard to who was in command in the absence of the Chief or Assistant Chief. It was decided that the ranking Foreman had full powers to call meetings as well as direct the work of fighting fires and in the absence of the Foreman, the ranking Assistant Foreman would be in charge.

May 6, 1929-Bills read and approved:

Lane Lumber .... $9.40

Craig & Curry Hardware .... $2.15

Driver's Mercantile ..... $.80

Rev. Stanley Joslin invited the Department to attend service in their honor on Sunday, May 19, at 11:00. Motion was made and duly carried to go to Church.

June 3, I929-A bill from the Fair Store for $1.05 for clothes hangers was read and approved.

A letter was read by the Chief telling about a two week course in fire fighting which would be put on by the Wisconsin University Extension. The Chief reported that any member who would like to attend would be paid $10.00 and he hoped that several of the boys would take advantage of this training session.

Nov. 4, 1929-The Chief and Assistant Chief were absent and J. F. Hoskins called the meeting to order.

A letter of appreciation was read from Geo. F. Oates.

Dec.2, 1929-The Annual Thanksgiving Eve Dance made a net profit of $270.00. The records showed that a Bob Wells Band played for the dance.

History By Decade

1887-1900 1900-1909 1910-1919 1920-1929 1930-1939 1940-1949 1950-1959 1960-1969 1970-1979 1980-1987